Sunday, May 25, 2008
I was listening to NPR the other day. They were discussing the up coming democratic convention in Denver, and about a group that wants to bring back the protests in the spirit of the 68' Chicago Convention. It was also mentioned that this might be a challenge given that half the population of the US was born after the 68' Convention. Wow, that fact really gave me pause. I'm really getting old. I don't feel old, except in the morning when getting out of bed. Well, today Dick Martin passed away. I grew-up watching Laugh In with my parents, most likely missing most of the jokes, but enjoying the timing of the humor non-the-less. The show started in 68 and ran until 1973. I still remember many of the skits to this day. Martin was 86, but I still see him as a young guy; ah the magic of television.
Good Night Dick!
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
I never used to like the smell of metal. Counting change was always a chore followed by vigorous hand washing. But, something has changed; I no longer mind the smell. I find the feel of the metal, the smell, somehow comforting. It's solid, not fragile like so much in my life. I'm beginning to understand how it melts and moves with the pressure of my hammer or the squeeze of the rolling mill. I like that it is forgiving to my ineptness, patient to my learning curve.
Friday, May 9, 2008
We said goodbye to our Maddy Mo Jones this afternoon. She was a part of our family for almost 14 years. The next few weeks will be hard for A; he loved her so much. She is at peace now and hopefully playing with Otto and Chelsea somewhere among clouds.
Thursday, May 8, 2008
Patricia at Classical Ed tagged me. Like I don't have school to do?
Here are the rules:
1. The rules of the game get posted at the beginning.
2. Each player answers the questions about themselves.
3. At the end of the post, the player tags 5 people and posts their name, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they've been tagged and asking them to read your blog.
What was I doing 10 years ago: Gosh, I was a wash in La Leche League, working on becoming a Leader, taking care of Ms. Mac, two at the time, and enjoying our little house in the big woods.
Five Snacks I enjoy:
1. Chocolate - really good chocolate. Only recently have I been able to eat it again in small amounts. So when I do it's the best I can put my grubby hands on.
2. Patricia got me hooked on Smart Food's White Cheddar Popcorn. We try to be good and get it every once and a while.
3. Sabra Hummus with garlic and pine nuts, scooped with either, fresh squash, cucumbers, or carrots.
4. Blue corn chips and fresh mango salsa
5. Nuts, cashews, almonds, peanuts (I know they are not technically nuts), pistachios, etc
6. Most fresh fruit, Mangos, berries, bananas, apples (with a bit of cashew butter)
In the real world I am:
1. Tired, I need more sleep. Too many late nights checking on Ms. Fi
2. Hopeful, that this will be a great summer and that things will be better, more joy in our lives.
3. Sad, our pup is not doing well. I'm not sure how much longer she will be with us. So we are doing a lot of looking back.
4. Laughing at the thought that it is cold somewhere in the US? It will be in the lower 80's today. But then again, I don't live near the OCEAN!!!!
5. Stressed.... Yes, this is a normal everyday feeling. Just wish it would go away!
6. Planning, always writing down lists of things to do, w/o, do school, go food shopping, more ideas for fall curriculum, etc
Things I would do if I were a billionaire:
1. Buy all members of my family the one thing the desired most (if it could be bought)
2. Allow A to retire and find his life's passion
3. Travel the world with my family
4. Invest and give most of the profits to different charities (like this one... so I stole it, LOL)
5. Have an amazing studio, so when we were not traveling, I could make jewelry, do hand building, and edit my photos taking on our travels. Of course Fi would have a studio too and Mac her own drama troop/theater.
Five jobs that I have had:
1. Babysitter through high school
2. Worked at B' Dalton while in college (from part-time up to Asst. Manager) almost 10 years! Ugh...
3. Worked at Chapter 11 Books. I think I see a pattern
4. Became a mom, very hard job, for which I am still employed. Oh and add homeschool teacher (about six years now)
5. LLL Leader (Breastfeeding support) for almost eight years. Held a number of positions within the organization. It's so sad that they are a mess.
Three of my habits:
1. I am an internet junkie.... Is this like a 10 step program?
2. I just talk too much... so since I often has no one around to talk to, I post too much.
3. I worry too much, about everything. I'm really trying to work on this.
Five places I have lived:
1. Manhattan (NY, NY)
2. Riverdale (Bronx), NY
3. Larchmont, NY
4. Dunwoody, GA (just north of Atl)
5. Woodstock, GA (just a little farther north of Atl) and now Roswell (moving back closer to Atl). Next might be to the city! Or near the OCEAN!!!!!
What do you want others to get from your blog:
Share with family, friends and cyber friends what we are up to. To be a bit of diversity in the home school community.
SO now I tag....
Lorna at Socks and Books
Audrey at A Small Corner of Nowhere
Jenn at Captain Blackfoot
Parabola at Schola of Liber Sententia
Lori at The Von Kekel Academy
And whoever else wants to join the fun. Leave a comment so I can check out your responses!
Friday, May 2, 2008
What Your Taste in Chocolate Says About You
You are sophisticated, modern, and high class.
Your taste is refined, but you are not picky.
You are often the first to try something new.
You are down to earth and lovable.
A true friend, you're very tolerant and understanding.
In fact, your friends' biggest problem is that they don't like each other!
You love being around people. Friendships are important to you.
You feel lost when you're by yourself... so you tend to avoid being alone.